International Students

Current increased scrutiny of work authorization requests necessitates all international students stay informed. F-1 and J-1 students are encouraged to read the International Student Services (ISS) website; pay close attention to and save the ISS newsletter; and as needed, present questions directly to ISS staff.

To participate in an off-campus internship, international students must obtain Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization, and be registered for academic credit corresponding with their curriculum. 

On this page:

Steps Required to Obtain CPT

Our program is the first step in this process for international students in the School of Management.  International students are permitted to begin an internship only after CPT is fully authorized and a new I-20 has been issued. 

  1. Log in to BizLink, and click the "Experiential Learning" tile from your home page.
  2. Click the blue "Add New" button, which takes you to the Experiential Learning Form.
  3. Select "Credit Bearing Internship" and then choose the same semester (work term) as your participation in the internship. Complete the form in full, and then submit.  
  4. Our staff will review your report in the order in which it was received, and reach out to you with any questions. 
  5. After your internship is approved, we will email you and your internship supervisor with a detailed request for a formal offer letter along with a request for both of your e-signatures on our Management by Objectives (MBO) learning agreement.
  6. Upload the completed documents to your "My Documents" section in BizLink. We will then process your academic registration. 
  7. To apply for CPT, you will follow the online application instructions included in an email sent to you by our staff, along with two PDF attachments, including proof of academic registration and the Academic Advisor's CPT Recommendation Form. 
  8. UB ISS will process your CPT request (allow 7 - 10 days) and you will be issued a new I-20.
  9. Then, you can begin your internship.


All students

  • All students in F-1 visa status must be present in the U.S. for nine months before participating in an internship.
  • International students in the School of Management are usually limited to a maximum of two CPT requests. Additional CPT requests may be permitted under special circumstances only after review by IEL staff. 
  • CPT limits internship participation to a maximum of 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters, and a maximum of 40 hours per week during the summer.
  • Students extending a fall internship over the winter break are required to register for winter session academic credit and obtain winter session CPT.
  • Once you have accepted an internship offer, stop interviewing with other employers. Requests to switch internship placements introduces risk and may be rejected.

Graduate students

  • You are required to complete the entire first year of your program before participating in an internship.   
  • All graduate students are allowed a maximum of 3 credits (one internship) to count toward graduation.
  • MBA students waived from the internship requirement must void their waiver through our office to participate in an internship. Contact for assistance. 

Undergraduate students

  • You are allowed a maximum of 6 credits (two internships) to count toward graduation.

Earning Money

International students are able to earn both money and academic credit during a paid internship as offered by the employer. In addition to CPT, you must also secure a Social Security number (SSN) before your paid internship begins.

Students working on-campus for UB do not need CPT but still need to obtain an SSN.